Tuesday, August 01, 2006

If you work until 9pm but you enjoy your work, is it really that bad?

I guess I consider it a good sign that I am still in the office and not really to tear my hair out and start pillaging MacBooks. I actually like it here.

This week is probably the most hectic of the year for my group, since WWDC is right around the corner. My team is busy badge-stuffing, finalizing registration, and tightening up presos for the conference. I'm working on a presentation on the business and marketing tools we offer for our membership base. It's pretty cool.

I feel I really lucked out this summer finding such a great fit, and I feel it was cause by two mindsets that I had coming into the internship:

1. I want to work for people I like, a company that does things I like, and a place that I like AND
2. I know what kind of life I want to live and won't settle for anything less

#1 is easier to figure out than #2, certainly, and I think I'll be figuring #2 out for a long long time (it's a continual journey). Fortunately, I proverbially kicked myself in the ass recently and set out on my own to figure it out. It hasn't been easy, but I'm learning now, more than before, about what I want.

For example, this summer I've been running (see previous posts) and it's fantastic. This morning I took a run at 7:45 through my peaceful San Jose neighborhood pre-traffic and daytime bustling. Another example: I eat what I want when I want, and I'm not spending a gazillion dollars. Eating for one, albeit sometimes depressing, is a great skill. If you've figured out how to do that and maintain your figure, go you.

written a couple of weeks ago, but published today.

No comments: